N 17° E054° Confluence Point Visit
Location: 1.8 km (1.1 miles) E of Araft, Zufār, Oman.
12-Sep-2014 -- Spending a short week in Ṣalāla, to get some much needed rest and escaping the heat of al-Dawḥa (Doha). The latter turned out not to be such a brilliant plan; although Ṣalāla is noticeable cooler, it also is extremely humid. Enough reason to restrict any movement, which is perfectly fine for our plan of not doing much anyway. However, doing absolutely nothing is not really in our nature, so we did explore the surroundings, and rented a car for a day to explore the wider area around Ṣalāla. We saw some great archaeology and geology and as final stop for the day, we visited this confluence point.
Having looked at maps beforehand, we had a good idea how to approach the CP: drive as close as possible and walk the final stretch. With Mrs. Terratin behind the wheel and Mr. Terratin giving directions, we managed to park the car at about 350 m from the CP. Walking towards the CP, we noticed a fence seemingly blocking the way, but also that the fence was still under construction, meaning we could go around and still get to 0 m. The fence, when completed, encloses a large area, but on east side runs about 50 m from the CP; future visits are still possible, albeit not at the exact spot.
The CP is on a grassy field with lots of pebbles, which by the looks of it is an alluvial plain, located directly west of the `Awqad al-Šamāliyya/Ṣalāla urban area, and set against the background of the Ẓufār mountain range to the North.
After writing down the details of our visit (PIC 8) and taking pictures, it was time to head back to the hotel and continue doing nothing for another few days.
- Date/Time of arrival: 12 September 2014, 15:17
- GPS Devices: Garmin Oregon 450/Garmin etrex vista HCx
- GPS Latitude: N 17 00.000 (Oregon) / N 17 00.001 (etrex)
- GPS Longitude: E054 00.000 (Oregon) / E053 59.999 (etrex)
- GPS accuracy: ±2 m (Oregon) / ±3 m (etrex)
- GPS Altitude: 48 m (both)
- Minimal distance: ±2 m (based on GPS accuracy)
- Distance to nearest road: 500 m; unpaved road.
- Road name: -
- Nearest village: `Awqad al-Šamāliyya, province of Ẓufār, Oman.
- Visible Terrain/Area: Flat meadow, alluvial plain.
- Weather: Overcast to sunny, 30°C, NE wind.
- Description of the CP: Open grassy field with pebbles, partly surrounded by a fence (under construction). Urban area to the East/South-East, mountains to the North.
- CP Name: None.
- Means of transport: Rental car, walking the final ~350 m.