N 55° E025° Confluence Point Visit
Location: 1.1 km (0.7 miles) W of Avižonys, Vilniaus, Lithuania.
[Report at confluence.org pending.]
23-Aug-2013 --Having planned a short stay in Vilnius, the arrival time of our flight from Copenhagen allowed for a whole afternoon . So what does one do? Of course, check if there's a confluence within reach! As it turns out, not only this CP is easy to get to, but also the geographic centre of the European Continent. Two great goals to fill up an afternoon.
After we picked up the car, we drove in through the city of Vilnius over the A2 in a North-Western direction to reach the CP, which is located within the village of Kieliai. Arriving near the CP, we were greeted by a shy little girl, who ran away after we said hello....scary people those CP hunters!
From our parking place (N 54 59.925 E025 00.007) at the Western entrance of the village (Picture 7), we could see a kind of track running in almost a straight line towards the CP, making it easy to get to the location. The field with the CP (Picture 1) is covered with grass and some wild flowers like dandelions & buttercups (and not crops as we expected). The surroundings are typical rural: fields, tree-lines in the distance, some houses and presumably barns making up a village. With hardly any people around and -apart from some moo-ing cows and distant traffic- very quiet. And to complete the rural image: a faint 'farming' smell, courtesy of the cows.
After having taken the readings of the GPS (Picture 6) and the pictures in each compass direction (Picture 2-5), we left the area and drove on to the Geographical Centre of Europe.
- Date/Time of arrival: 23 August 2013, 12:45
- GPS Devices: Garmin Oregon 450/Garmin etrex vista HCx
- GPS Altitude: -3 m (Oregon) / -7 m (etrex) [Both are incorrect and need to be calibrated. Altitude is ±13 m (Google Earth)]
- GPS Latitude: N 55 00.000 (Oregon) / N 55 00.001 (etrex)
- GPS Longitude: E025 00.000 (Oregon) / E025 00.002 (etrex)
- GPS accuracy: ±5m (both)
- GPS Altitude: 128m (Oregon) / 121m (etrex)
- Minimal distance: ±0 m
- Distance to nearest road: ±150m direction South.
- Road name: unnamed; according to some maps this road is road number 4308.
- Nearest village: Kieliai (The CP is located in this village).
- Visible Terrain/Area: Agricultural, mostly grass land.
- Weather: Overcast with occasional drizzle; ±15°C.
- Description of the CP: On a field with grass and some wild flowers.
- CP Name: (none as far as we know)
- Means of transport: Car, walking the final ±150m over a path.